Thursday 3 January 2013

Step Two: Creating a Support System

Happy New Year!

The time has come for me to embark on my weight loss journey. How cliché to wait until the new year to start, I know, but it seems like as good of a time as any. I allowed myself to enjoy my holidays with no holds barred. I know it wasn't the wisest idea, but hey! things are going to be way different from now on. For the better.

Step two of my weight loss journey: Creating a Support System.

This step is so important. In previous attempts at losing weight, I did not have anyone rooting for me, so to speak. Not having a group of people, or at least one person, helping you through the challenges that you face, can set yourself up for failure. It is important that the people close to you are on the same page or they could be setting you up to fall without even knowing it. I know I have a number of people who would be willing to help me along. Who doesn't want to see a friend or family member who struggles with obesity succeed in becoming healthier?

Having a support system may also help you succeed if you feel accountable to another person other than yourself. I know I don't care about myself and what I think when I scarf down a few chocolate bars in one sitting, but it certainly doesn't feel good to know that I'm letting someone else down when I do. With a support system in place, I will likely think twice before making unhealthy choices.

I started this blog in hopes that I could find at least one person that I could share this journey with. By putting myself out into cyberspace, I feel like I'm making myself accountable to an indeterminate number of people. And who knows? Maybe I'll inspire someone like myself to take this quest with me!

In addition to the online support, I have created one close to home. I have recruited my long-time friend in my endeavor.  She, like me, has been struggling with her weight. She has agreed to be a walking buddy. It may not seem like much, but a brisk walk is a great form of exercise, especially for someone like myself who is very sedentary. It'll be nice to have someone at my side who knows my struggles first hand.

My husband will be my primary supporter, though that wouldn't come as any surprise. Of course he would want his wife to be healthier, and I daresay, thinner. I have asked him to take some extreme measures to help me stay on course. Not only have I asked him not to succumb running to the store if I ask him, but also to bluntly point out if I'm faltering. I know it will be hard to hear my husband making comments about what and how much I eat, but it's for the greater good. I need to hear it.

Lastly, my children. I know they can't verbalize their support for me, but I know they would if they could. It's more in my mind than anything, to know that what I'm doing will help them too. I know that by seeing me make healthy food choices and participate in regular exercise, it will be easier for them as well. Not to mention, if I'm healthier I'll be around longer for them. And what greater motivation is that?


No comments:

Post a Comment