Monday 25 February 2013

Old habits die hard...

It's been a while since my last post. Primarily, I had nothing really to say. I've been so disappointed in myself. It felt so easy in the beginning to stay healthy and exercise, but as the weeks go by it gets harder and harder. There are days when I just want to chow down on every single unhealthy thing possible. It's been a real struggle, mostly in the evenings. I can do fantastic all day and then blow my whole day out of the water in an hour or two at night. I've been going out a fair bit recently, usually to a restaurant with a girl friend of mine. It's really sad that when I do go out, it's after the kids are in bed, so I've already eaten my three meals for the day, but I'll still order food (and often a meal, not just an appetizer). I know how many calories are remaining in my budget for the day, but I eat anyway. And not anything healthy either!

This past week I've made more of an effort to watch what I eat and be conscious of not going over my daily calorie limit. I did fairly well; I only went over one day. My exercise, however, did take a hit this last week, which is the primary reason for being more vigilant over what I ate. I'm not sure what I've done, but I've got some pretty nasty pains in my lower back. I chalked it up to my poor shoes and the amount of walking I've been doing daily (2.5 to 6 kilometres daily). I did finally pick up a great pair of running shoes. I purchased a pair of Nike Lunarglides, which are simply the best shoes I've ever worn! It's as if I'm walking on clouds when I wear them! I wore them on my walk yesterday for the first time, and my friend and I walked 6 kilometres. I probably should have waited until my back had fully healed before walking so far because I'm paying for it today. I'm starting to wonder if there is an entirely different problem causing the lower back pain.

On top of the back pain, almost everyone in my household has come down with some sort of stomach bug. I'm feeling mostly better now, but last night and this morning was certainly a different story. I felt so bad for my daughter, who is two, because she seemed to have it worse than everyone else. I was up most of the night with her. I'm just thankful that my son didn't get sick. I've never had to deal with a sick child before, aside from the sniffles, and I can only imagine how challenging it would be to look after a baby with tummy troubles.

On the plus side, I weighed in this morning and I have lost 3 pounds since last Monday when I weighed myself. That is a total loss of 19.6 pounds and also put me under 250 pounds! I'm so excited about that! I can't even remember the last time I was under 250 pounds! I'm getting so close to reaching my next goal of 25 pounds and getting my next reward: a manicure and pedicure. Having seen a loss this week (and a nice one at that!), it has certainly renewed my drive to keep on this path and to try harder once again. It'll only be a matter of time before I reach my end goal and I can't wait! I guess I should finish my rewards so that I have something to work towards (aside from good health).

My walking buddy, Ashlee, and I have set a goal to walk the "West Side Hill" at the end of August. It's about a 4.5-5 kilometre walk from my home, up the hill to the Tim Horton's on the other side. The distance won't be the challenge, but the steep hill certainly will be! It's a long bridge that connects the two halves of the city together over a river, but the road goes pretty steeply into the valley before leveling out and returning to a steep hill on the other side. I thought August would be a good time to try, as it will give me a chance to become a more seasoned walker and also lose a bit more weight before taking the challenge on.

Ashlee would also like to start jogging; she's been interested in the "Couch to 5K" regimen. I can't quite commit to jogging just yet, but maybe one day when I have less aches and pains and feel more confident in my body to do something like that. Still, it's something to think about and possibly another goal to work towards.

Something else to look forward to is a nice little weekend trip up to Edmonton, Alberta to the West Edmonton Mall, sometime in August. I'm hoping to be down another 40 or so pounds before the trip takes place, which will make shopping more enjoyable. Plus, the mall has a fantastic water park that we would like to go to and it would certainly be nice to look a little better in a swimsuit than I do currently. So I'd better get cracking to make that weight loss goal a reality before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment